Head blogger: Anita Cory, wife, mom of 3, sister, sorority alumnae, Christian, Sorority/Fraternity Life professional at WSU, former Paper Pals Design Team member, dissertation writer, and all around friendly 40-something in Pullman, Washington.

Monday, July 19, 2010

Metaphorically speaking...

Camryn had a really crazy, fun, girl-time yesterday with three other middle school girls at the river (after the church picnic), that turned into a spontaneous sleepover, full of hair-fixing, clothes swapping, and makeovers. All that turned into the majority of today being spent with one of the new friends. Hearing about all the fun and seeing the result of the aforementioned activities, made me smile and made my heart ache a little at the same time.

A couple of metaphors have been bouncing around in my head since earlier tonight when when I dropped off my darling dot for soccer practice. As she walked away, I thought, "wow, she is not really a little girl anymore". It was a crucible moment and I saw her life flash before my eyes.

I thought of hour-glasses with the sand always moving from top to bottom, telling us it is almost time. I thought of the thermometer signs you see when a community bands together to raise money for something. I thought of building a house, from the foundation to the framing, and so on. I thought of baking cookies which all have sugar, butter and flour, but the ingredients added at the end are what make that cookie complete and unique. I thought of the day she was born, and her tea party birthday (4th), and learning to drive the golf cart at Grandpa/Grandmas (age 8).

Some days, I miss my little girl. Everyday, I love my young woman. But seriously, does it have to go this fast? Can't we slow things down a little?

Sigh.


1 Comments:

Blogger Heather said...

She isn't a little girl anymore, I agree! But she is turning into a pretty great young woman. I miss you guys!

July 21, 2010 at 10:09 AM

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home