Head blogger: Anita Cory, wife, mom of 3, sister, sorority alumnae, Christian, Sorority/Fraternity Life professional at WSU, former Paper Pals Design Team member, dissertation writer, and all around friendly 40-something in Pullman, Washington.

Wednesday, December 24, 2008

Time is flying at warp speed...John & Anita think so anyway!

Remember when you were a kid and time seemed to go by so slowly, and now as an adult it seems to go by so quickly? Well, I have mixed feelings about this whole issue of time. Here’s why:



Time has moved too fast:



How did I get to be 40 already? Really, I don’t “feel” 40…oh wait, I sort of do, and had foot surgery in late October to prove it. I was overcome with a “weird” sense of dread about turning 40 back in September, a feeling I didn’t expect, and had never experienced about another monumental birthday. Hmm…that was weird, and I’m over it now, but if you’re really bored, check out my blog posts from back at that time. Sorry everyone…I’m good, really, I’m OK nowJ In fact, since I refused any sort of celebration for the grand 4-0, I think I want to have a “last day of 40” party next year on September 13th! You’re all invited!!!

Time is moving too slowly:



Taking 2 classes at a time when you have to take about 30 classes is an excruciatingly slow pace to work on a PhD, yet, alas, that is what I’m doing. Most semesters the classes are interesting, I enjoy the learning and can handle the workload. This semester has drug along at a snail’s pace and I’ve struggled. Nonetheless, I’m more than halfway there, so it makes sense to keep after it…As one of my colleagues across the country says about his PhD, “we’re beyond dating now…I think we’ll be engaged soon”. So yes, I’m sort of “engaged” to the PhD at this point.



Work takes A LOT of time:



Right…I don’t have an 8-5 type of job…and unfortunately, I don’t get paid overtime. As the Director of the Center of Fraternity and Sorority Life at WSU, I’m blessed to have a great team, and get to work with the best and the brightest students on campus (with the occasional blip on the police scanner to keep me on my toes).



A highlight of the “work-life” each year is the annual Association of Fraternity Advisors Conference in December. I just returned from it in Denver (on the 7th) and had a great time connecting with old friends and colleagues: Bobbi (my grad school mentor), Kyle, Kelsey, Cori and so many others!



It is Time to invest and engage:



Our old friends Ric and Lisa are back in Pullman (after the Army took them to West Point and Germany) and John and I are co-leading a University students Sunday morning Bible study with them. This is a VERY different group of students than I am accustomed to, but we have loved this opportunity to engage with them and our old friends.



With our new friends, Trent and Maria, John is leading a “grow-ups only” Bible study. This fall, we used a book/DVD by Lee Strobles, “The Case for Christ”. I highly recommend it for seekers and believers alike…you will be changed!



No time like the present:



As you might have guessed, or know for a fact, I’m the planner, scheduler, and list-maker at the Cory house. This year, I’ve reflected much more on just being in the moment, not letting “time” be the consuming ruler of my life. Hanging out with friends, visiting family in the Midwest, and loving on my kids and John is really the best thing I’ve done with any and all of my time this year!



What does barely a day over 39.99 look like? Click here:

http://www.slide.com/r/IOikv5nslj-vo-7L9fisCOXNITjeCY-c?previous_view=lt_embedded_url




Other issues with Time:


As you can see from the photos on the blog, the stress of John’s job at the Student Union Building, has caused him to lose his hair this year. Ha! OK…not really, but IF he had hair, I think he would’ve lost it this year.




Here’s why:

In May of 2006, the old student union building, the CUB, was closed, all the departments, student groups, etc. moved to various, less-than-ideal locations elsewhere on campus, and a major demolition and renovation project began (to the tune of $86 million). This alone, as you can imagine, was quite a job.


Then over the last 2 years, with an increasingly feverish pace, everything old (policies, staffing, budgets, etc.) became new (or at least different) again. The building project and ramping up for the August 2008 Grand Re-Opening, really stretched everyone, I’d say especially John, to their limits.


Aside from the University students Bible class and the Home Group I mentioned earlier, John has had “no life” this year. Poor guy…work, work, work.


OK…I guess we did go camping in July…and went to Nebraska and Iowa for David and Stacy’s wedding, went sledding in the record-setting amounts of snow with the kids, caught a movie here and there, but then it was back to work. We are all hoping his work-life will settle into a manageable predictable schedule again soon, and he can “get a life”.


We are blessed, with although busy, meaningful jobs at the University and are thankful for the time we have had here. We never thought we'd live in Pullman, WA this long, but we really do love it here....and have a good life!



What does John look like without hair? Click here: http://www.slide.com/r/dCdslkVU1z9BQ6V4Wn0q2VRfF2h35lCD?previous_view=lt_embedded_url



There is more to come...on the annual updates...but for now, Merry Christmas everyone!



Thank you God for the gift of your Son, Jesus Christ, our Lord and Savior!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home